Toby Mathis and Jeff Webb of Anderson Advisors encourage you to look at taxes as something that's enjoyable because it's a very rewarding subject. Learn how to use tax laws to your advantage and put money in your pockets. Do you have a tax question? Submit it to taxtuesday@andersonadvisors.
- What happens if I forget to submit Form 8606? You don’t have to file a return if you let the IRS know there’s something you put in, but you are not taking a tax deduction for it
- What principle assets should I use for my LLC, if I work from home? Depends on where you set up the LLC; a physical address, but not your home address, as principal address
- Can paying my minor kids for their work in my business offset taxes? Yes, if they do something of value; shift money from a higher bracket to someone in a lower bracket
- How can we pay kids? Is there a limit? If you're a sole proprietor, you don't have to put them through payroll; if you're anything else, you do put them on the payroll
- Can I pay my parents for babysitting? Yes, but you're not going to write that off because it’s not an expense
- Do I have to file tax through each state where I own a rental property? If you're making money in a state, you must report that income somewhere
- Can a self-directed 401(k) invest in an opportunity property? Self-directed IRA means you don't have to have a custodian; you can be your own administrator or trustee
- Can I invest in opportunity property? Yes. Opportunities zones and opportunity funds get the tax exemption; you can invest in those areas and defer capital gains
- What documents need to be filed for a C Corp? Depends if you're filing it with the state, then there’s three areas to be aware of: State, third parties, and federal government
- Do you need a real estate license to be considered a real estate professional? No.
- What is a good IRA platform to use, has the lowest fees? IRA Club
- Is partnership income in an IRA required to be income taxed? No. An IRA owning a partnership doesn’t pay tax on that income
- Do you lose long-term capital gains being a real estate professional? No. Capital gains are capital gains; you don't lose them because the losses aren’t considered passive
- Do kids pay FICA taxes? If it's payroll, yes; they're not going to pay on employment taxes
- What are the main tax advantages of a C Corp? Separate tax bracket and fringe benefits that are not taxable to you and not available through others
- I have a home office in the basement. Is that basement going to be deducted? Yes, if you’re a sole proprietor; have an accountable plan and reimburse yourself by determining how much square feet of the house you're using
- I formed a single-member LLC. What tax form do I report? You don't; it's disregarded
- What's the best bookkeeping system for real estate investors and financial services corps? QuickBooks
For all questions/answers discussed, sign up to be a Platinum member to view the replay!